Friday, February 03, 2006

Pet Peeve #1

Pet Peeves, things that just get under your skin and fester until you feel like your head is going to explode from being infected. Rubbed the wrong way, whatever you want to call it, I have a few. The act of the crime stays with me for days. I just can't seem to shake the offense. I keep repeating "Let it go, let it go....(drifting back to the offense in my mind)...DAMMIT!"

Here is my Pet Peeve #1

#1. Stupidity at it's worst about Autism.
The tilt of the head, the "Ah huh", the turn to whisper later about how she didn't see that much of a difference in my son, the look of sure..."Kids like him need all the help they can get", the shouting "Hi Gabe!" as if he is deaf, "Oh, I'm sure he is doing better," said with an unconvincing tone.

One of those people is my neighbor. She seems convinced that my son is somehow mentally inferior to her son and the entire NT world. He has Autism, that's it, nothing more. His future is still unwritten, there is great hope, as with any child. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. I wish I had the nerve yesterday to tell her off. That her tone was hurtful. But, I didn't. I was slapped in the face between the "How are yous and What have you been up too." She is uneducatable about Autism and its effects on my son. She is uneducated. But, she was someone I thought before the diagnosis was a friend.

Sometimes I wonder if I am on the Spectrum, because I do not get people.

P.S. By the way neighbor, your son is short, waaaaaaaaay too short. See someone about it. See. I kept THAT to myself.