Sunday, February 26, 2006

Fresh produce is best


Off Gabe and I went to do our weekly grocery shopping. He did great, but was a little antsy towards the end. I think it was due to him laughing and talking up a storm at 2:00 AM. Sleepiness was rearing its ugly head around the lettuce heads. I always let Gabe out of the cart to say "Hello" to the lobsters in the tank and sometimes it can be difficult getting him back in (The cart is overflowing and heavy by now). Today I had a difficult time getting him back in at the lettuce heads.

He towers over me as he stands up in the seat, refusing to slide his feet into the holes in the cart. BUT, what was really cool ,was amongst all the shrill screaming (it was loud) I calmly and patiently waited and guided Gabe through the ordeal of sitting down in the seat of the cart. I also realized that I no longer felt "the stares". The "stares" and the "Tsks" no longer were heard or even mattered to me anymore. I have graduated to the "I am OK and satisfied with my parenting!" Wow. I never thought I would get to this level. I have always been insecure, who hasn't, but nothing makes you check yourself twice than parenting.

So, after getting Gabe situated in the cart, we continue shopping. He admits defeat and we start getting some fruit. First to the bananas. Gabe has started an eating program at his school. He still eats only stage 3 foods, but feeds himself and we are able to provide him a well rounded diet of fruits, meats and vegetables. The problem exists where the food leaves the puree Heinz or Gerber Baby food consistency and meets table food. So, our first food to "transition" is his stage 3 Gerber strawberry Banana mixed with mashed real banana. Oh the day when he will eat real food! Our next milestone that we will be working very hard on, taking data and everything. I can't wait. This will be a big one :o)

Anyway, I'm getting off track. Off to the bananas. Hmmmm, have to be somewhat ripe to mash. I wonder, while I pick them out, if he knows what we are using them for. As I am pondering that thought, Gabe reaches over, grabs a banana and takes a bite.

WHAT?!!

Then he bites again.
Not once, but twice with the peel still on!
What's with this produce section?
So, quickly I peel the top part of the banana open and hand it over.
Here, eat it like this...... (Big mommy smile)
Could there BE anymore anticipation....(use Chandler's inflection from Friends)

Then....He looks at me, shocked that I defaced a perfectly good banana and says with vigor......

"ABSOLUTELY NOT MOTHER!!!"




No, sorry, that's not true.
But, his "No" sure sounded that way to me.