Thursday, February 23, 2006

The promise to myself





The goal I set for myself today was not to be intimidated by Gabe's Gastrointestinal Doctor. I call him Dr. Sarcasmo. In order to be able to follow through on my promise, I made a mental agreement to myself before the appointment to do the following things:


1. Keep eye contact -Don't shy away you deserve to be heard
2. Have a prepared question list -Sometimes you forget because you get flustered
3. Do not leave until you are satisfied with ALL the answers to your questions. Who cares if there is a waiting room of people and Gabe just pooped, you need the answers NOW.
4. Demand answers to your questions. If he doesn't know, make him say it in one way or another. It's not up to you to know everything about this doctor's specialty. Make HIM accountable.
5. Hold my end of the conversation- take turns at "the podium"
6. Get "The bottom Line" -Circle talk is unacceptable. What is the next course of action?
7. Tell him to fix his room if he shows/says that he is uncomfortable with how Gabe is touching things in his room. He did this last time and I actually apologized for my son touching things in his child unfriendly room. Not this time.
8. Emphasize that you are not a "testing maniac". All you want to know is if HE thinks HE has done all he can for Gabe.

9. Dish back some sarcasm with a smile. If he can give it, he better be able to take it and believe me, he's FULL of "it".
10. Demand a copy of all tests administered to Gabe and not just the cover letter explaining the outcome/results, get the actual reports. We will not be returning.
11. Start a binder with all his medical tests and paperwork. You need to start being the liaison between these doctors, because they can't seem to step up to the plate. Take your binder to all appointments and get copies of EVERYTHING. This will make your doctors very uncomfortable. It may make you uncomfortable, especially if you are not a wave maker. Just say it is for tax reimbursement at the end of the year.

By the way, I did all that I promised myself today, each and every one. I even told Dr. Sarcasmo that he needed to fix his heating register. He made a comment when Gabe tried to stick his cars into the register that was missing parts of the grate. So, I said he should probably get that fixed, ("Don't you think so?" I said. Especially since you work with mostly children? *touch of sarcasm*) He made some lame excuse, but I said it and I was right.

Gabe does not have Celiac Disease according to this doctor. YEAH! He was tested and is normal. Dr. Sarcasmo did not,however, have a solution to Gabe's reflux, but assured me that we have done all the tests appropriate for his age and the Prevacid is protecting what needs to be protected. It took about 45 minutes, but I got my "Bottom Line".

I felt absolutely wonderful when I left his office. Gabe isn't healed, but I sure felt like I was. I stood my ground, got my answers, and did everything I needed for myself and treated Dr. Sarcasmo respectfully. We won't be going back, but I sure will miss the look on his face when I held my own.