Saturday, February 04, 2006

Moving on with a different focus

Sometimes it is easy to loose sight of what it is you set out to do. There are so many distractions. Distractions like trying to appear "normal" when you clearly feel like a trespasser on NT turf, trying not to blink your eyes so the tears don't fall from hurtful comments, just trying to breathe in the new skin you were given after the old was ripped off your body. That is where I was getting lost. At first, it is easy to stay on the path, especially when you are in shock. Shock from receiving a diagnosis that has no cure for your child. You miss most of what is going around you. All I could think about is how to get help for Gabe and pull our family back together. I did not even imagine the reaction outside of Boo, SD, Gabe and I. So, here I am almost 1 year after I said to SD, "I know Gabe has Autism." I've spent the last month or so loosing sight of my son, loosing sight about who I am and what it is I need to do. I am here and I am on the path, IPod in hand, walking shoes on. I am ready.

Here I go...one more time...but...so much wiser.