Friday, June 09, 2006

Possible Combinations

My stomach has been hurting all day today. Feels like morning sickness, but it's not. Sometimes when I get overly anxious about things, my stomach cramps, I feel dizzy and I sit down a lot so I do not pass out. I also feel really tired. So tired that I know if I laid my head down I could sleep most of the day away. My therapist said it was a coping mechanism for me, an avoidance technique to sleep. Makes sense, sleeping is so much more pleasurable than worrying. With two kids though, that is definitely not an option. I did lay down for a little bit while Boo and Gabe watched The Magic School bus about the solar system this afternoon. Gabe was good for the first 15 minutes, then came in to the next room where I was laying and pulled up the blanket and said "want sleeping", and snuggled in next to me, right up close. I wish he could tell me how to plan for his educational needs.

I just don't know what to do next. The line from The Fray song, "Everyone knows I'm in over my head", keeps singing through my head. Just that one line, over and over. I am. I am way over my head. I'm drowning. I just want someone who knows Gabe to say, "This is what he needs, use these goals, here's the legal jargon to get it. Voila." If only Viola was that easy. I just want to get my son what he needs. I can't seem to get it together. I have all this great information and I am clueless on what to do to get that same great information into the heads of the people signing his IEP on Thursday. I keep on going, reading the Wright's Law Page, googling IEP, ABA Goals and Preschool curriculum. Then, I also got Dairy Cream today, after I ate 2 pieces of French toast with lite syrup for dinner. I don't think the lite syrup made a difference and now I am stuffed and sick. yuck.

Here are our ideas about Gabe's education for this Fall...
1. ECDD with aide in the morning 4x weekly/2 hours private ABA therapy in the afternoon
or
2. Mainstream with Aide in morning Preschool 2-3x week/ 2 hours ABA therapy in afternoon
or
3. ECDD with Aide in the morning 4x weekly/ Mainstreaming Preschool with aide 2-3x week
or
4. ECDD with Aide in morning 4x week or Preschool with aide 2-3x week/ AI school in afternoon (not sure available) how often?
or
5. ABA School morning/ Preschool with aide in afternoon 2-3 x week
or
6. ABA School morning/ ECDD with aide in afternoon 4x week

Important Questions-
-Will he be potty trained for regular preschool by Fall?
-Finding another $8,000 for ABA school semester?
-Did they actually close the public elementary AI program in the city near us?
-Will the ECDD classroom be challenging enough? After meeting today I'm not sure, especially after looking at his ABLLS Scores.
-If we leave the ABA school, will the public school system provide enough to prevent regression or remediation of skills? Can they continue the same success rate for Gabe?
- Will I be able to find dependable and available ABA therapists to come to our house 1 hour each day (I will be doing one hour also)? I know some great therapists, but they are really busy people.

It's officially the weekend and I hope the kids are good to SD and I and let us sleep in tomorrow. We need it.