Thursday, June 01, 2006

Getting Ready For The Next American Idol


The words Gabe uses are becoming clearer, so we are beginning to understand more of what he is saying. In fact, we are realizing that he is quite the singer. He also is quite the critic. He has made it loud and clear that everyone except him are not to sing.
Screaming......"No singing!" he shouted when I tried to do a duet with him to Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.
We currently are respecting his wishes, except when his sister wants to sing. He seems OK with that arrangement.


All day long he has been singing Charlie Brown by the Coasters. He puts a lot of emphasis on the beginning...Fe-fe, fi-fi, fo-fo, fum. He sang it over breakfast, at school, on the way to speech and loudly at the train table in the children's section at the library, then at dinner. SD said he couldn't get it out of his head. It is a catchy tune.

So, this morning, after the beautiful singing at breakfast, I thought he might want to hear the original as we drove to school. My thinking is that he could pick up more of the lyrics and sing longer. Both of my children love to sing and I look forward to being their audience.

When asking Gabe if he wanted me to put that song on he responded quickly with a "No!"
"Really?" "Are you sure?" I pushed play and the song came on.
He didn't say no, but didn't seem too excited about it either. I was so surprised that he didn't want to hear it. He sang it all morning.I turned it off soon after. Maybe he doesn't like how they are singing it either. Huh. He also seems to be "growing" out of CD's fairly quickly. They have a time span of about two weeks than they are obsolete. I have been checking out different children's CDs at the library every week or so to feed his need for music. I enjoy the change, because there was a time not too long ago that he wanted only certain CD's. You can only hear the theme song to Dora The Explorer so many times, although that is a finger snapping, good tune.

So, I am curious about what the next favorite will be. What is really interesting is that we haven't played that tune in about a month. A month ago he showed no interest and never even whispered a lyric to that song. Out of the blue, he started singing

Fe-fe, fi-fi, fo-fo, fum- (Bee-Bee, Bi, Bi, Bo,Bo, Bum)
I smell smoke in the auditorium ( I newl oo ?????)
Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown (awee own, awee own)
He's a clown, that Charlie Brown (awee own, awee own)
He's gonna get caught (??/???????)
Just you wait and see (Bee Bee, Bi, Bi, Bo, Bo, Bum )
(Why's everybody always pickin' on me) (???????)

What else does he know? What other things will he show us?

I can't wait...... but I will have to.