Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I Wasn't Even Raising my Hand




So, it is officially my turn. I have so not been looking forward to this day. You could compare my attitude to the kid that slouches down in the back of the class, almost falling on the floor, just not to be seen. That's me.




It's that time of year .....IEP time.

I -Incredibly Confusing
E- Everything you never hoped for
P- Preparing your child's future with someone you don't know

I want so badly to believe that everything will go smoothly. I do. The first IEP for Gabe, I really put the cards in their hands and trusted them (the school) with making the goals for him. They only saw Gabe for what he was during the half hour evaluation they performed, therefore, set his goals really low. So low that, later I wondered if anyone there had any intention of cheering him on, or had they given up before even trying? Gabe's new teacher for the fall seems very caring and knowledgeable. It's the unseen parameters that are placed on special education students that bother me. How low will they put Gabe this time just to ensure success at 60%?

This is what I have set so far for his IEP next week, a representative from Gabe's school will accompany me in the meeting and be able to explain the goals that should be set for him in the fall based on his ABLLS scores. I made another meeting with the head of Gabe's program to go over other parent's examples of IEP's, to explain to me where his scores fall on the ABLLS and what goals should be in his IEP. Sounds good right? I should feel confident? I don't. It took me a couple days to figure out why.

I believe Gabe will be very successful in the ECDD (Early Childhood Developmentally Delayed) classroom. He is an awesome kid that loves other kids and wants to have fun and learn. Sounds like a candidate for preschool to me. So, where's the problem? What worries me is that Gabe still has behavior problems. First, I have to say I hate that term "Behavior Problems". BLECH! Let's see.... How about "differs in opinion on what he should be doing at times" or (why not an acronym?) hmmm....DIOOWHSBDAT. Pronounced "Deeoo-was-ba-dat". Autism has so many acronym's, I just thought why not another?

Anyway, I'm getting away with myself, his "opinion" can be construed as defiant or blatant disregard of authority, which it kind've is, but really isn't. I feel I'm talking in code, so here is an example,
AT SCHOOL TODAY
-We arrive at school 2 minutes before circle time. (Traffic was terrible)
Gabe is used to getting at least 5 minutes of play in the gym before school starts. He also loves playing with the new ball toy they have in there. (Which we have at home and remains unplayed with most of the time)
So, after reaching the ball toy today, I quickly notice that it is circle time.
I tell Gabe and start to guide him out of the room where circle time is.
He gives a little muffled scream and falls to the floor. I try to guide him to his feet, but he remains limp. I had to carry him to circle time (screaming) where he refused to sit in a chair and slid to the floor.
Gabe was immediately put in an Educube until he could calm down.
After a few minutes he was done and happily doing the motions to Zoophonics.





Now, someone not familiar with Gabe would assume that he is just being defiant. Some may even scold, put him in time out or completely remove him from circle and any other fun activities as a punishment. Which is what I am afraid of when it comes to any school that doesn't have the same knowledge about Autism and Gabe that his current one has. Is Gabe so special that it will be impossible for anyone else to understand his needs? No. I just worry. I worry about those who may label me as the mom who makes excuses for his behavior and then control his behavior their way.

Is it Autism that causes Gabe's "strong opinions"? Some believe it is. I don't know. All I know is that Gabe has them. Sometimes, once a day for an entire week. Then maybe not for 3 weeks, all depends. On what? Not sure. They happen and I just want them to love him through it like I do. No judgment, no furrowed brow, just patience. Make sure he is safe, don't engage and let him calm himself down. It's just that simple. It really is. Ride the storm. The trip is worth the smile at the end.

I have a name for a behavioral consultant for our county that works with the schools. She is said to be helpful in aiding the teachers in understanding techniques and strategies with certain behaviors. I hope she can help ease my worries.

So, I am calling out to all bloggers who have some wisdom they would like to share about IEPS. This is my time of great need. Thanks :o)