Tuesday, March 21, 2006

What? How old am I????


My birthday is slowly creeping up on me again this year. The whole age thing doesn't bother me, I let go of my twenties a long time ago. I told Boo how old I was going to be and she responded with a "Wow!" I could see her trying to count that high in her head. Her eyes immediately looked up and to the left, numbers running frantically by in her mind.




She is actually really excited about getting our annual Dairy Queen cake that everyone in our family will and can eat. (A miracle to say the least!) SD (Super Daddy) always adorns my cake with the beloved 2 and 1 candles. We also get the very tacky streamers and other dollar store atrocities out to decorate the eating area in our kitchen. I love it. I wouldn't have it any other way.


(We have recently changed the color of our kitchen.
Don't ask what I was thinking when I chose that color. I have no idea.)

This year's birthday starts off on a very different foot than last years. Last March, Gabe had his first real evaluation, the ADOS, and our fears had been confirmed. He was given the diagnosis of PDD-NOS. It has taken me a year to realize that it doesn't matter where your child falls on the spectrum, mild or severe, it's that they are on it. He may not have as many obstacles as some, he may have more than others, but My God the ones he has have changed myself and our family in many ways. I have matured in leaps and bounds, not because I am getting older, but because I had to. You aren't given a choice to "think about it" or the infamous "I'll get back to you". You have to be on your toes at all times. I have been tip- toeing ever since. I am stronger, wiser, and no longer put up with the "smile and be nice" philosophy that I had to swallow for years in the work place. I am on the front lines and I am taking no prisoners.

I am 21 years old.......er........soon to be 34....

HERE ME ROAR!!!!!!!!