Thursday, August 18, 2005

I'm Going Cross-Eyed


The results are in! We are relieved and overwhelmed at the results, but nonetheless, we now know. The allergist did a pretty comprehensive allergy screening. I must say that I was extremely impressed with the elaborate questionnaire we filled out before we met with the doctor. They also performed the test very quickly. Gabe was such a trooper. We thought ahead and brought the DVD player so he could watch Toy story 1 and 2. That really helped. His whole back was marked with pen and red marks everywhere. They did a few under the skin to confirm some of the more borderline results.

Gabe is allergic to wheat, soy, egg, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, garlic (scored a 4),peanuts , chicken, cats, dogs, potatoes, and some type of mold. He was not allergic to milk, but we think he may be lactose intolerant. At home we found so much in our cupboard had to go. Even quite a few baby food jars will have to be donated. My daughter cried when we threw out the Golden Grahams cereal.Gabe saw them when she was eating them and was not happy when he could not have any. We initially bought them to use as reinforcers when Gabe ate.

Today, I went to a store in town that has a gluten/casein/wheat free section and found some things. I found that some of the foods would work great, then read on and they would be processed on the same equipment with peanuts, or trace amounts of peanuts or egg, soy or milk. So, I'm trying to keep tabs on what is acceptable and what is not and whether it has peanuts or trace amounts or a peanut skipped threw it or would Gabe actually eat it and OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!(Mind you)I had to take my daughter to the bathroom 3 times during all this. I did go cross-eyed at one point. Maybe it happened right before I felt my daughter tapping on my forehead, while I was muttering "No wheat, no wheat", yelling "I HAVE TO GO POO POO!"

This really is not all that new to me (I've been a lacto-ovo-vegetarian for 16 years). However, I'm reading labels now for three separate people with various dietary needs. After awhile I was just reading and would look back at what I read with no clue if he could eat it or not. My head was spinning. My daughter kept asking "Can I get my special school treats?" "Now?" "Now?""Now?"

I made a deal with her that if she was a good helper, she could pick one kind of special lunch box treat for school. She got to pick from three prechosen, mother approved snacks. It made the whole experience go smoother.

My sleeping lately has been horrible. I think I get a few hours in each night, but toss and turn the remaining. SD (Super Daddy) told me I had dark circles under my eyes and prescribed a nap today. I actually took him up on it, guilt free. I let the kitchen floor be dirty, toys stayed scattered all over the house and I even slept with all my makeup on. I just was too tired to care.

What's on my plate now? Here's what I got so far; starting an incredibly intensive ABA school with my son in two weeks, my daughter (we call her Boo) goes all week to school with all new kids in 4 days (Hoping the teacher takes us seriously on the "Peanut Free" with her), getting Gabe to eat using ABA, figuring out what to feed Gabe, another test for Gabe that will measure how fast his stomach empties (still has GERD), Preparing for the battle in October with my school district on what I believe is a "Good Education" for Gabe with statistics, PT,OT and Speech reports and 5 intensive reports from highly qualified doctors that label him as being Autistic ( The school district refused to change Developmentally Delayed to Autism last year even with 2 qualified reports from doctors) and my husband goes back to work for the new school year in 5 days. Maybe I'm being a bit Global in my thinking, but I am very overwhelmed. I know all will work itself out and I will make it through, but I feel really spent.