Thursday, May 18, 2006

Stages of ASD

There are stages to grief and I believe there are stages that parents go through with children that have been diagnosed with ASD. Some hit all the stages, others may slip past some. Me, I feel like I hit them all. Now I feel I am heading onto the next stage, the stage of "This is it". I watched and, well, cried through the short movie Autism Every day. What struck me is the woman in the park that said,"You first get diagnosed and you say to yourself , I'm going to do a year of really hard work and he's going to be fine. He's going to be better. And the year goes by. Then you say ,Ok, maybe two years and then maybe three years. Then you realize, Ok, so basically it's life long." It is life long. I knew that before, I heard, read and realized it was. But, now I got it.
I got it.
I just don't know what to do with it.
This new stage I have embarked on.
What do I do now.