Sunday, May 14, 2006

Being a mom means....

Presents on Mother's Day! Hooooooooray!!!!!

All these glorious books! Easy summer reads that I cherish when I have a moment to myself. The book second to the far left is the one that Boo picked out for me, because it was pink :o) I also have a new book on Autism that focuses on DIR/Floortime by Dr. Stanley Greenspan. It will be read along with the four other books on Autism that I currently have at my bedside also. I'm looking towards Gabe deviating away from ABA a little and exploring the idea of building his language and social interactions with people. He has expanded his area of interest now to successfully include other people spontaneously. He really wants to play and talk with his peers, but after the initial "Hi", he seems to fumble around what happens next (I can relate). He normally just says "Hi" again, then tries to initiate something by "petting" them or tickling them. It's so wonderful! We just want to help him get beyond the greeting. The book is called Engaging Autism, is on the far left and has a copyright of 2006 (!!!)


I am always aware of the copyright when using a book about Autism as a reliable resource. I learned that the hard way when I checked out books from the library when Gabe was first diagnosed with copyrights from the 60's,70's and 80's. I was in tears and thought I would have to institutionalize Gabe after reading their gloom and doom forecast for children with ASD. Never again. The autobiographies are still good, but they can be pretty scary for a new parent to ASD ( like Nobody Nowhere by Donna Williams). So, there you have it..my schpiel about copyrights.

Other fabulous gifts I received...


Gabe decorated a very cool cookie monster card with his "Pollock" like strokes with his marker.














Gabe's Cookie Monster Card










Boo decorated the pot at school and planted
this beautiful flower for me....













and this, Boo's on the left
and I'm wearing a dress:o)....























Happy Mother's Day to Everyone!!!!