Saturday, May 20, 2006

Just being

When my husband read my last post he said, "Wow. That's a really sad one."
"Really? Sad? It wasn't meant to be. Enlightening, showing growth, maybe even a touch of hope. But sad? huh."

Sometimes, I think people reading parents blogs of ASD children make the assumption that we are all floundering to "save" our children. I suppose a picture of a crazed mom with sunken, dark eyes, twitching, holding up her child over the fire of experimental medicine, willing to sacrifice everything just to have the "perfect child," probably comes to mind on more than one occasion. On the contrary, I am more concerned with Gabe's speech than his ASD "characteristics"(Which I think are mostly him being Gabe), because I can be. I have that luxury. Gabe doesn't demand as much attention and time from me as the children seemed to in the video Autism Every Day. If there was a fire pit for perfection, hell, throw me in! (Just kidding, please don't quote and throw it back in my direction. But, if you asked me if I would like to get rid of my anxiety, depression and gastro intestinal problems..I would respond with ...Ah yah!)

So, I went back and read my post and still could not see how it is sad. I think the woman's quote could be taken as portraying some sadness, But she also seemed to have reached an important place in regards to her son. It is more depressing, I think, to remain in a state of hope for something, when that kind of hope will not happen. That's when you create a new hope, a new outlook, a new beginning for other dreams and aspirations. Just because ASD is part of the equation, doesn't mean that everything should come to an abrupt stop. That's where I am with Gabe. We still have high hopes and dreams, not because of a new treatment that will "cure" him, but because he is our son and we celebrate his greatness.

I just wanted to clear that up.

And maybe some of you out there can help me understand this. Autism Hub has a few of our parents sights on their list. I went there today and could not believe the bashing that most did against Parents of ASD children. Why would you want to be part of that hub? Just curious. I also hope that parents of newly diagnosed children do not find that hub, at least until they grow some very thick skin. Because, according to most of them, WE are the enemy. I didn't even know we were at war.