Thursday, January 26, 2006

Our Off Shore Accounts




















*


Yesterday at Gabe's "school", a couple came in to observe. This happens a few times a week. It is one of two ABA "school like" private programs offered in southeast Michigan, so there are a lot of people interested in the program. Phrases like "waiting list","high demand in the summer" and "typically not covered by insurance" were being discussed. I couldn't help but watch as they went from room to room. I wonder if they were thinking what I had when I toured through, "How would we pay for a program like this?" "What am I willing to sacrifice to get my son the treatment he needs?"
I felt a little woozey. Will their child be taking Gabe's place in 3 months?"
















*

I sat down next to my old partner,
we paired up parent/child in the preprogram to this program, she was talking to me about all the doctors around the country that she consulted for her daughter. She's doing shots, chelation, ABA after school, the amazing list goes on. Did I mention that she works full time? She's giving it her all. I really admire that. I asked myself, "Was I willing to make the same sacrifice with money, time and sanity for Gabe?" Time can be managed, Sanity-I haven't felt sane since the diagnosis, and money......well, that something that's pretty set, either you have it or you don't. We do not.

However

We have decided to start warfare on our retirement IRA. Our savings is gone. Since the diagnosis, we have drained an alarming amount of money from that account. Thanks Blue Cross, Blue Shield. Penalties to use money from our IRA are HUGE and it's considered income...(Can we say penalized again????!) After that is gone, there's nothing left, I swear.


But

Can I get a cheer for intensive ABA for another semester = 1 full year in the program :o)

HOORAY!!!!!! HOORAY!!!!!

HOORAY!!!!