Thursday, January 05, 2006

What I have learned about the Big "A"

Autism Education
*
(It is almost one year since Gabe's diagnosis of PDD-NOS.
This is what I have learned so far)
*
*
1. I have learned that this is something I can not do on my own.
*
2. People DO care and want to help.
*
3. Insurance companies DO NOT
*
4. There are too many "what ifs" and "maybees"
*
5. Money really is the bottom line
*
6. The internet helped diagnose our son with Autism, not our doctor
*
7. The internet also found Gabe's therapy
*
8. There really are not enough hours in the day
*
9. Autism enabled me to let go of the feeling that my son just didn't "like" me.
*
10. It made me think that if 1 out of 166 children are diagnosed with Autism, why wasn't it mentioned in ANY of my 5 reputable Baby Books. Even the Mayo Clinic guide to infancy through toddler had no mention of Autism.
*
11. Is Autism a bad word? I found in some circumstances it can be.
*
12. I think speech therapy is amazing. I am forever indebted to Dr. Karen.
*
13. OT therapists have no clue how to get Gabe to eat.
(Thanks to Lisa S. for some good ideas to work with :o)
*
14. Autism starts with the letter "A" like the word "Alone". I have felt this way around other people with NT kids.
*
15. The big "A" gives you your highest highs and your lowest lows.