Monday, July 03, 2006

This Way To Grandma's House
















I've been wondering lately if my path for Gabe is going in the wrong direction. ABA, structured social interactions with guidance, a food program and public school were all the "crumbs" I had carefully laid down for Gabe. All the "right" steps were being taken. We were on our way. I even had a map in my basket in case we got lost.

The last few days have opened my eyes to see so much more than the path I had meticulously followed. I began to notice the wild flowers that bloomed along the twists and turns, the sunlight peaking through the trees, rush of the wind that tousled my hair. All the wonderful things that you can not plan for in life. "Happy incidents". Am I preventing these spontaneous adventures from occurring by being so vigilant? Is Gabe missing what's so beautifully displayed before our eyes as we walk along? I see now that he is.

There is so much more to Gabe's growth as a person than what the medical community can offer. They are only a supplement to what he should be doing as a young child. How can you "act" like a three year old if you are never allowed the time to be one. So, we have been exploring the world as a three year old would. Not as a child with Autism, but only as an incredibly creative and inquisitive child. No generalization, no manding, no nothing. Just being a three year old. We still hit on Gabe's ABA programs, but only in the off time we are not exploring. Only when we need to continue on our path, bouquet of flowers in hand.

It has been so wonderful to see him laugh and smile as a three year old should.