Monday, July 17, 2006

Putting the Clues Together


-Increase in perseveration (especially with his voice)
-Pushing
-reacting more emotionally
-More babbling "Gabey Language"
-Inconsistency with Language (Four word sentences mixed with two word)


I think Gabe is noticing more of the world lately. I can see it in his eyes. He is seeing more than he ever has. He is more aware, more in tune. I wasn't sure what to think when his perseverations increased, but this morning it all came together....at the car wash of all places and over a sundae.

I must say that our car wash is pretty cool in our town. They have a huge waterfall and fountain that you drive around before entering. In the winter they have plastic life like penguins all over the rocks around the waterfall. Those same penguins have Santa hats around Christmas, pumpkins at Halloween...you get the picture. My kids love it! Gabe has started requesting that we have car washes every week. Sometimes we go, but mostly I say "maybe next week."


"This way," Points to the car wash.
"Do you think we should get a our car washed?" I ask.
"YES!!!!" He says with enthusiasm."Car wash!" "Yes!"
"Ok, today is a good day. Let's go!"
"Yeah!" Gabe claps from the back seat.



Today,we drove around the back, oohed and ahhed over the waterfall, handed over the money and begin our car wash journey. First, they sprayed our car with a very strong sprayer. "Look Gabe! They're getting all the dirt off. Our car will be so nice and shiny when we're done." I must admit, I get excited too. I love the look of shiny paint on cars.

Gabe has always looked a bit hesitant when going through the car wash. most of the time I hold his hand and explain what's happening as it happens.
"The sprayer gets all the soap off, like rain. See?"
It seems to ease and relax him. Today was another story.

I made a connection with Gabe today. A deep, profound connection. He was very tense, more than usual, as we went through the washing cycles, I held his hand and explained everything like I normally do, but his reaction to the change in noise, machines diving back and forth from the car made his body very rigid in his car seat. His eyes looked right at me with incredible intensity that left me breathless. He was looking at me like the boy in the snow had. I was seeing Gabe. A part of him that is so often masked by Autism.


His day went well, mastering quite a few more programs. Speech with Dr. Karen also went well, with Gabe working on "Who" questions. He understands "Where" and "What", "Who" seems to be taking a little longer. Before going back to his therapists room, we successfully sat on the potty (in a public place!) without any problems. It seemed almost commonplace. We are adding "after lunch" as a time to visit the potty now. Around 2:00 he fell asleep in the car, and after getting home, slept until 4:30.

Gabe hasn't been too interested in dinner lately, so we have implemented a few rules that also apply to Boo.

1. They Must finish their dinner in order to get "Special Treat" (small vanilla cup of ice cream, topped with sprinkles and two Swedish fish) Dinner portions are small, therefore making it pretty easy to attain the treat :O)

2. Appropriate dinner behavior (Varies due to age) Gabe mostly needs to sit in his chair, facing forward and help say Grace. Boo has to say grace, sit in chair appropriately, and be courteous.

Gabe made it through most of his dinner, but then started to vocally perseverate and turned around in his chair. We asked for him to turn around, a few times, and reminded him that he has to finish his dinner to get special treat. He refused to turn around, so we excused him from the table. He seemed OK with our decision, left the table and played. It wasn't until Boo finished, started doing the "Happy Ice Cream Dance", ice cream cup came out, sprinkles and Swedish Fish that Gabe came and sat at the table.

"Ice Cream Cone?" He was ready for dessert.

"No Gabe. You didn't finish your dinner. Maybe tomorrow after dinner." I said

Normally we would get a small whimper before Gabe admitted defeat to go play in the other room with his trains. Not today. Today was different. He broke out in tears, that rolled over his plump adorable cheeks and hands covering his eyes as he rested his elbows on the table. This wasn't your average repetitive whimper. This was a blown out, three year old, I'm going to die without ice cream cry.

And then it happened. Gabe raised his head up, rested his hands on the table and pleaded......

"PLEEEEEASE MOMMY" with such a look of torment. Huge tears with such desperation in his voice. He has never showed such a desire for something, especially not verbally.

It broke my heart, but I said no. Maybe tomorrow. He sat staring at Boo's desert towering with candy. I waited a minute or two to let it sink in and then asked him if he wanted a hug. When I picked him up, he squeezed me tightly between his legs, something he rarely does. I hugged him as he sniffled, kissed his forehead, and rubbed his head.

I hated being the one to deny ice cream of all things.

My little boy is beginning to really notice what is going around him. Not just physically, but emotionally. I hope it doesn't get too overwhelming for him.