Sunday, July 23, 2006

Options

When we first suspected Gabe was Autistic, we consulted a special education teacher through my husband's school district that he works in. She was incredible and taught in a wonderful special education preschool program. She was only the first of many that would see and diagnose Gabe with having Autism.


During our meeting, we discussed some things that lead me to believe Gabe could be Autistic. After taking it all in, she began to play with Gabe. He was pretty easy to engage and they both looked like they were having fun. She also explained Floortime and gave me materials that described how to incorporate and utilize it through play. She agreed that he was probably on the spectrum, but he also had a lot going for him, especially in the social department. This teacher was the first person to hint that there was a bright future, or any future for that matter, for Gabe. When our meeting ended, she offered to show us one of their preschool special ed classrooms. It was the first time I saw a PECS schedule.

Then I thought yesterday, almost 1 1/2 years later, why couldn't Gabe go to the school with the amazing teacher we met? They have an open school policy in SD's district. But, does it pertain to special education students? How would picking up and droping off Boo work when she was on the other side of our county about 35-45 minutes away? Could this be the answer I needed? Could this be a possible solution? Or am I just postponing the inevitable of Gabe returning to our district?

SD is going to look into it this coming week. I need to know that we have choices. I hate feeling as if I'm stuck. Stuck in something I can't get out of. Having options just makes the sky seem a little clearer.