Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I WOULD'VE NEVER GUESSED I COULD DO THIS

Six months ago I alone discovered that my son held a secret. A secret that would forever change my life. It's strange how it all came together and it still seems to linger and give face in new ways through testing and milestones that slip past our fingers. I lost a beat, a moment in my life when I heard that word, that little secret that tumbled from an acquaintances mouth out into the open air, just drifting. I didn't know at the time how often I would hear that word again and how many more times I would have to say it. I hate that word and it burns in my gut that I have to deal with it, along with the biases that accompany it. What's funny is there are old words that have become new,wonderfully beautiful words that I cherish when applied to my son like "typical", "normal","appropriate". These are words that are tossed and hit around a pediatrics office like Opening Day. To me they are the biggest gift under the Christmas tree, the brand new bike, a great sundae. Those words are the new secret that I share with myself when others say them in passing not knowing how they brightened my day. They are my new fireworks. That is what I heard while she was attaching electrodes to my son's head today for his EEG and I had to lay on him to restrain him. I asked is it always this bad with this age? She replied with,"That's typical." My son is typical.........(smile).