Monday, October 17, 2005

Autism = $$$ = Michigan

So up here in the "great" (cynic chuckle) mitten it has been noted by many sources that Blue Cross Blue Shield (http://www.detnews.com/2005/health/0504/27/A01-163979.htm)
has one of the worst coverage for Autism in the country. Where insurance leaves off, the school districts turn their backs. You know what is the biggest kick to the throat? The fact that BCBS offers more to other subscribers in other states! I know that states can legislate coverage, but isn't that a little strange that one state stipulates coverage, but another is free to thumb their noses up at their struggling masses? Can I open my mouth and scream discrimination now? If it is proven relevant in other states why should I have to lobby for something that has already proved to be right? The whole system sucks. Here is a prime example, A school district that is a hop, skip and jump from mine was sued for not providing an "appropriate education" for a child that had autism. That family won and now ABA is offered in that district. An aide works exclusively with your child implementing ABA. Now here's the twist, as a parent YOU have to ask for it in you IEP and on top of that NO ONE mentions it as an option. My family does not have the money to hire a lawyer, so Gabe will go without ABA in his district. How can that be fair?

I am so envious of those of you that mention how your "Play Coordinator" comes to work with your child or how ABA is provided in your school district, or maybe that RDI may be implemented as a possible educational tool after meeting with a cool TEAM of professionals. I know in terms of therapy provided we have a long way to go, but count yourselves lucky that you have something to fall back on. After 5 more weeks, it's all me. All of Gabe's education falls on my shoulders.

Let me introduce myself again...My name is Kristin and I am a Play Coordinator, ABA Therapist, Floortime Expert, Motor Coordinator, Occupational Therapist and Speech Therapist. I'm from Michigan and it SUCKS!!!!!!