Thursday, August 31, 2006

God help the next person who says this to me...



I'm calling to see what services you offer for children with ASD?
That depends on what they need.
OK.....
What do you typically offer?
What does your child need?
Okaaaay........(Do I Insert the magic word here?)
What services do parents who have a child under the age of five with ASD typically receive through your program?
It depends on what they need.
What about_________?
No.
What about________?
No.
Alright.....(MUST guess better)
What about________?
No.
What about________?
No.
What about________?
No.
You do help children with ASD..right?

It depends on what services your child needs.
I see that you do intakes. Can I bring my child in for an intake and discuss possible services then?
Yes.
(Huh. I gotta "yes".)
We have this date open.
That sounds good..
But, we'll have to call you to see if she will be in that day.
Huh?
Your scheduling an appointment on a day that you do not know is actually available?
She'll call you in a few weeks to confirm.
Really?A couple weeks?

Yah...

Huh..
Okaaay....
I'll have to call back later.

Gotta love those agencies that claim to help children with their clever use of double talk and underlying tone of we really don't care.