Tuesday, April 24, 2007

My Third Start


















*
*
*
I have actually had a few things to talk about, but after I purged them out onto my cyber canvas, they didn't seem to be able to sustain the dimensions of the page. They just fell flat, sprawled out, taking up space. So, that left me here with these random thoughts that have been floating around in my mind lately...

#1
What classifies something as an epidemic? Dictionary.com defines it as something that is extremely prevalent and widespread. So, with that in mind, even with the argument that just more children are being labeled as "on the spectrum" due only to diagnosis criteria, isn't Autism still an epidemic? I read a parenting magazine yesterday, while waiting in an office, that was clearly trying to convince parents not to buy the hype. What is that magazine trying to sell? That Autism is just a figment of some people's imagination and it doesn't normally happen to good people that read their magazine?

#2


I still love to walk. I walk as much as I can, because it keeps me sane and a whole lot less anxious. One thing I have noticed is I have great toned legs that I can now flex and show an impressive muscle. However, that same muscle that helps also to tighten the rear is still resting under *ahem* a few extra pounds . These unwelcomed pounds are making my pants tighter and less forgiving. God has a sick sense of humor when it comes to my body.















*



#3


Gabe is still doing great, in fact we have left the "ABA trial table". I work on his programs incidentally throughout the day through books, play and general conversation. His last day in his speech based preschool will be in June. In the fall he will attend a regular preschool. I have begun to create a flyer to give to the teachers about some Gabe-isms.


*


*














*


*
Some Gabe-isms
1) Sometimes I repeat what people say when I don't know what to say. Just ask me another way. There are times I may need a little extra help.

2) When I am hurt, I may not tell you. Sometimes I say "No, I'm OK" even when I am not. If you ask me very specific questions like "Does your knee hurt? I will be able to tell you. I may even give a little hug.

3) I am allergic to many foods. I am also a pretty picky eater. I don't mind only eating what mom sends from home. She also packs special treats in my bag in case someone brings in a special treat I can not have.

4) There are times I get so excited about something that I may ask for it over and over. Mom reminds me what she said and then lets me know if I ask again I may not get what I am asking for. I have to admit, this technique works well with me.


Those are a few that I have thought of. I don't want to mention that he is Autistic, although they already know, for the simple fact that I believe people see the word Autism and think of its stereotype before seeing Gabe.





Here are some more thoughts....


#4
With Melissa's great advice, I am going to call and make an appointment for my thyroid this week. Thanks Melissa!

#5
We have had quite a few schools on lockdown since Virgina Tech's shootings, because of similar threats. The school locks all the doors, outside and in, the teachers remain with the students in the classroom, while police officers search the school. It can be very scary, real or not. SD is a school teacher. Everyday now I wonder if he will be coming home. What has happened to our world?














*
*
So, there you have it, my current state of mind.